If the right reason would be visibility from Germany on the specifics of its cut to the feed-in tariffs, then the answer is no -- and investors are taking big risks heading back into solar on a short-term share price drop.
Reuters, it should be noted, quoted the German economy minister today -- as opposed to the previous anonymous sourcing -- giving his
What's more, the German politician did not chime in on the all-important date for the cut in the solar feed-in tariffs. He also didn't comment on the idea for further cuts in solar feed-in tariffs, if certain gigawatt triggers are reached, which had also been originally reported as part of the deal by Reuters.
Market opportunists may have headed back into the solar sector on Tuesday, seeing the multi-day share decline in some Chinese solar favorites as an opportune entry point. What's more, long-term investors who had missed "previous boats" in solar, but remain bullish on the long-term solar story regardless of Germany's decision, could have viewed this most recent solar selloff as a good entry point as well.The 'Sell first, ask questions later,' nose-dive in solar stocks that occurred last week is typical of momentum sectors, said an analyst who covers both solar and other alternative energy sectors. "It doesn't mean the stocks will go up instantaneously, the story really hasn't changed a bit, but some investors with a long-term view on solar may still see this as a time to get in," the analyst said. Yingli and Trina may have recovered quicker than Suntech Power (STP), which was still down on Tuesday -- though less than 1% -- due to its weaker balance sheet as compared to Trina and Yingli. Suntech's debt-to-total-assets ratio is above 40%. Both Trina and Yingli have debt at the level of 25% of total assets
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV