NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Solar stocks finally turned positive on Tuesday afternoon -- after several days of share-price bleeding -- with some of the big Chinese solar players ending Tuesday in positive territory.
Still, set against double digit percentage declines in share price on Thursday and Friday of last week, the modest gains on Tuesday could be a sign that investors believe the Chinese solar shares have taken enough of a beating following the news out of Germany that the world's biggest solar market might cut its solar feed-in tariffs to a greater extent than anticipated, and sooner than expected.
Some of the other Chinese companies were up to an even greater degree on Tuesday at the market close. LDK Solar (LDK) was up more than 3%; ReneSola (SOL) close to 3%; and SolarFun Power (SOLF) and Canadian Solar (CSIQ), among the previously hard hit Chinese solar stocks, were up 1.7% and 1.5% respectively on Tuesday.The big dogs on Tuesday were JA Solar (JASO) and China Sunergy (CSUN), both down more than 3%. (JA Solar received a downgrade to neutral today from Broadpoint Amtech.) All of which raises the question: Is the bleeding in Chinese solar stocks over, and if so, is it over for the right reasons?
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV