Sony (SNE) announced a new version of its e-reader on Sept. 1 -- but while its competitors are lowering prices, Sony refuses to join the price war.
The e-ink device will be thinner, lighter and offer more features than the original device. The five-inch Pocket Edition will sell for $179, the standard Touch Edition is going for $229 and the larger seven-inch Daily Edition is priced at $299.
Sony comes in at No. 2 in the e-reader world, with a 35% market share, according to Forrester, but is fighting neck-and-neck with Barnes & Noble to retain that slot.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV