Barnes & Noble's Nook
Barnes & Noble (BKS) unveiled its color version of the Nook as it tries to capture shoppers who are unsure about purchasing an Apple iPad.
The Nook Color, which features a seven-inch touchscreen, is retailing for $249, half the cost of an entry-level iPad. The new device can be used to view color content, including video files.
While Barnes & Noble's e-bookstore doesn't offer many books that have color content, it has built out a library of 12,000 children's chapter books, interactive color kids' picture books, and will also sell digital magazines and newspapers that have color graphics.Nook Color also offers a some extras, with web surfing capabilities, access to e-mail, games and listening to music. But the device does not utilize e-ink and is significantly more limited in the number of apps it offers, compared with the iPad. The device will begin shipping on Nov. 19. This is Barnes & Noble's latest attempt to remain competitive in the e-reader space. Earlier in the year the book seller took to slashing prices on the devices, reducing the original Nook to $199 from $259, and introducing a Wi-fi only Nook for $149. Aside from Barnes & Noble stores, shoppers are also able to purchase the Nook at Best Buy (BBY). Barnes & Noble claims to own about 20% of the e-book market. Forrester estimates that Barnes & Noble will sell 2 million Nook units by the end of the year.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV