NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Is the e-reader dead?
With the rampant success of Apple's (AAPL) iPad, which allows users to not only read books but browse the Internet and watch videos, investors fear that the end of devices used solely for reading is imminent.
Forrester Research estimated in September that Apple has sold 5 million iPads since its launch on April 3, while Barnes & Noble (BKS) has sold just 1 million of its Nook e-reader devices since its introduction last year.
Chatter of new tablets running on Google's (GOOG) Android system are constantly popping up, and Dell (DELL) recently launched its five-inch Streak tablet, with plans to roll out a 10-inch version next year.Still, about 6 million e-book readers will be sold this year, up from 3 million in 2009, according to Forrester Research. It also estimates that the e-book market will hit $500 million by the end of the year. But in order to stay relevant makers of e-readers have decided to woo shoppers with price. Read on to see the latest price cuts and moves in the e-reader war.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV