From a supply perspective, the United States Geological Survey states that silver is nearly twice as rare as gold in the long term because it is not recycled at the same rates as gold. Also, at current consumption rates, all of the silver that is in the earth's crust will diminish away in the next 25 years. This will likely put supply pressures on the price of the metal.
A combination of these factors will likely provide support to silver prices; the following ETFs should reap the benefits:
iShares Silver Trust
(SLV), which physically holds silver bullion and closed at $18.27 on Wednesday.
PowerShares DB Silver Fund (DBS), which holds futures contracts in silver and closed at $33.16 on Wednesday. PowerShares Ultra Silver (AGQ), which seeks to gain twice the performance of silver bullion and closed at $68.06 on Wednesday.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV