From a supply perspective, the United States Geological Survey states that silver is nearly twice as rare as gold in the long term because it is not recycled at the same rates as gold. Also, at current consumption rates, all of the silver that is in the earth's crust will diminish away in the next 25 years. This will likely put supply pressures on the price of the metal.
A combination of these factors will likely provide support to silver prices; the following ETFs should reap the benefits:
iShares Silver Trust (SLV), which physically holds silver bullion and closed at $18.27 on Wednesday.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV