On Wednesday, Moody's underscored the significance of the single operating certificate, saying it had withdrawn ratings on Northwest liabilities and obligations following the Dec. 31 "legal merger" between the two carriers. "As the surviving entity, Delta has become the legal obligor," Moody's said.
Several steps remain for Delta. During the current quarter, all tickets and fares will be consolidated into the Delta reservation system, and the nwa.com Web site will disappear.
Reservations system integration posed a major problem in the most recently completed airline merger, which combined US Airways (LCC) with America West. In the transition month of March 2007, the combined airline's on-time performance sank to 55.5%, the result of a schedule meltdown that included thousands of flight delays and cancellations. Its impact kept US Airways at the bottom of the DOT's performance measure for most of 2007: on-time performance recovered to 78.3% in March 2008.
-- Written by Ted Reed in Charlotte, N.C. .
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV