Philadelphia will become the 247th and last airport where the two carriers combine operations. The airport rebranding effort began at the San Juan, P.R., airport in November 2008, the month after the merger was approved by the U.S. Department of Justice. In Philadelphia, the timing reflects the move of Delta's ticketing and gate operations to Northwest's airport locations, which will occur overnight Monday and will be visible to passengers on Tuesday.
The changeover will closely follow another key milestone. On New Year's Eve, the Federal Aviation Administration approved Delta's application for a single operating certificate, enabling the carriers to integrate fleets and flight crews, so that pilots and flight attendants from either airline can work on any flight. FAA approval came 14 months after the merger closed.
"We accomplished the single operating certificate in record time and without negative impact to our daily operation," wrote Stephen Gorman, Delta executive vice president, in a letter to employees.To secure the certificate, Delta integrated 385 manuals and 100 operating specifications, programs and processes at each airline. In addition, Gorman said more than 85% of Northwest's 260 mainline aircraft have been painted in Delta colors. The airlines combined their frequent flier programs in October. Late Tuesday, the National Mediation Board said it has scheduled the first post-merger Delta election involving the International Association of Machinists. About 100 flight simulator technicians will vote next month on whether the group will remain in the IAM. Votes will be tabulated Feb. 25. Other elections involving larger groups are expected later in the year: The IAM represents 12,500 Northwest employees including fleet service and customer service workers.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV