Claiming its network in China was attacked -- and that the email accounts of two human rights advocates were hacked -- Google is reviewing whether to stay in the country.
Judging from the company's public comments, it's clear that Google wants to open up discussions and influence change in China's Internet controls. Until now, Google has tolerated the censorship and surveillance of network traffic that have been conditions of its participation in the rapid growth of China's Internet market.
But the latest violation, specifically the snooping upon individuals, has highlighted a much bigger problem, and Google wants the world to know about it."We have taken the unusual step of sharing information about these attacks with a broad audience not just because of the security and human rights implications of what we have unearthed, but also because this information goes to the heart of a much bigger global debate about freedom of speech," wrote Google's chief attorney Dave Drummond on his company's blog Tuesday.
Related Stories>>Google's China Crisis
>>Google and China: 360 Degrees on RealMoney
>>Google Won't Ditch China Plans: Firing Line
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV