Everyone from banks to retailers -- many of which were struggling themselves to stay afloat amid the recession -- are lending support.
General Electric (GE) made one of the largest donations, of $2.5 million. It has already given $1 million to the Red Cross and $500,000 to UNICEF. The company said it will match all contributions made by employees.
Financial institutions also turned their attention away from all the bonus-and-taxing drama to help. Citibank (C) announced that it is giving $2 million, while Bank of America (BAC), Morgan Stanley (MS) and Goldman Sachs (GS) each pledged $1 million. Other companies like Coca-Cola (KO), Google (GOOG) and Lowe's (LOW) also agreed to spend $1 million for relief efforts.Royal Carribbean (RCL) and Comcast (CMCSA) also pledged $1 million. Wal-Mart Stores (WMT) pledged $600,000 -- $500,000 in monetary relief and $100,000 in pre-packaged food kits -- to Red Cross. It has also launched a Web site that allows customers to donate. Pledges are also coming from Kellogg (K), Kraft Foods (KFT), Western Union (WU), General Motors (GM) and Wells Fargo (WFC). Other organizations are lending their services to help victims. American Airlines (AMR) and FedEx (FDX) have offered to fly supplies to Haiti. Drug maker Abbott Laboratories (ABT) will provide pharmaceutical and nutritional products along with a $1 million grant, while 3M (MMM) has announced that it is looking to see what medical supplies it can provide. Likewise, Crocs (CROX) said that it will donate shoes to Haiti victims and Walgreen (CROX) announced offering both monetary relief and supplies. Read on for more images and information from the aftermath of the Haiti earthquake....
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV