Americans Stand by 401(k) Plans, Survey Says
BOSTON (TheStreet) -- To paraphrase Mark Twain, reports of the demise of 401(k) plans may be greatly exaggerated.
Despite the recession that started in late 2007 and continued through most of 2009, Americans still have confidence in their retirement plans and investment options, according to a recent survey by the Investment Company Institute (ICI).
The ICI, the trade group of the money management industry, surveyed 3,000 households and found that, among households expressing an opinion about retirement plans, 90% had a favorable view. The organization's survey comes as the Obama administration discusses ways to encourage people to shift from 401(k) to annuities so that they don't outlive their retirement savings. The ICI opposes the notion, which could hurt revenue at mutual fund companies.
Findings from the survey, conducted in November and December 2009, include:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV