NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Wall Street will be parsing the final readings on how the banks came through the 2009 over the next few weeks with JPMorgan Chase (JPM) kicking off the festivities with its fourth-quarter report on Friday.
The numbers aren't expected to be all that pretty with analysts forecasting losses for some big names, including Bank of America (JPM), Citigroup (C), and sequential declines in profits from third-quarter levels for most others. Still there's little argument that substantial progress has been made in stabilizing the sector from where we were at this time last year. Even if where we were last year continues to be rehashed, and the shape of seemingly inevitable regulatory reform remains unclear.
Now, instead of tending to mere survival, the banks will once again be chasing profits. As of Jan. 11, analyst expectations were for financial components of the S&P 500 index to report earnings growth of 172% for calendar 2010, according to data from Thomson Reuters, an increase from a view for growth of 72.5% on Oct. 1, prior to the third-quarter reporting season.
That's a pretty high bar, especially with the pace of economic recovery still in question. Here are five areas banks are poised to profit from this year:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV