The shocking aspect of this story isn't that it happened. The Chinese have been actively hacking into Pentagon and defense networks for some time and recently have been prying into the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter program. Add in a couple of spy scandals and one would think the Chinese just don't like us.
Now, of course, we're no babe in the woods. Our intelligence agencies are doing the exact same thing. And if they're not, they're fired. Again.
The interesting aspect is Google's response. Is the "Death Star" turning a new leaf? Is Google pausing in its quest for world domination? Depends on if you believe the search company or not.The current China operation isn't that large and according to Google pulling out won't significantly impact its bottom line, meaning it can find that amount in its couch. So Google may be doing this because it's the right thing to do. Maybe Google saw the tarring Yahoo! (YHOO) received for previously caving to the thugs in Beijing and their penchant to censor free speech. If you don't believe Google, perhaps this could be one way to close a business arm that isn't working while looking like a hero -- the business Jedi Mind Trick. The one thing we do know is that Baidu (BIDU) stands to profit from a Google retreat, at least temporarily. If anyone thinks Google is going to ditch its long-term plans to own China (along with the rest of the world), I have some Lucent stock to sell you.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV