MILLBURN, N.J (TheStreet) -- The holidays have come and gone, and earnings season is once again upon us. Here are four things that The Finance Professor will be focusing on as companies report their fourth-quarter earnings over the course of the next few weeks.
1. Revenue Growth
2009 was marked by net income stabilization and moderate growth, a feat achieved primarily through cost reduction. Top-line revenue growth, however, was stunted due to poor comparisons with the prior year and a strengthening U.S. dollar. If we are truly going to experience an economic rebound, earnings growth is going to have to be sourced from top-line revenue growth.
Indications are that holiday season sales were better than expected. This was due to both improving consumer demand and smaller markdowns taken by retailers. The real test for revenue growth will come from the domestic retailers, especially the big box stores such as Macy's (M) and J.C. Penney (JCP), and from multinationals such as International Business Machines (IBM) and Merck (MRK). Also, look for gross credit and debit charges from the big credit card processors, such as Visa (V) and MasterCard (MA).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV