Har-Bex Products has a patent for its Nuddle Blanket ($68), a plush blanket with arm holes and "an exclusive foot pocket" that gives it a leg up on competitors, design-wise. But the Nuddle has a design, not a utility, patent. "A design patent just covers the aesthetics, not the function," Schox explains.
Says Clegg: "If I had been in my bed and created a hybrid combustion engine, maybe I could have patented that, but I didn't."
Hence, the sleeved blankets keep on coming. Last week at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, ION Audio unveiled the Toasty, an electric blanket with sleeves. Stay tuned for new Snuggies, too. "We will continue to offer new Snuggie styles and colors each year," Flynn vows.
-- Reported by Carmen Nobel in Boston.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV