Goldman Sachs Bank USA, which had $115 billion in assets as of Sept. 30, earned a rating of B-plus (good financial strength) or higher. Goldman Sachs Bank USA joins 1,034 other banks and savings-and-loans. The list of A-plus rated institutions is dominated by community banks.
Goldman Sachs Bank USA was formed in November 2008, when Goldman combined the former Utah industrial bank of the same name with its New York trust company, and instantly joined the group of 20 largest U.S. banks. The deposits of wealth-management customers were funneled in, and more than $100 billion in assets tied to Goldman's trading, lending and servicing, structured finance, custody and other businesses were moved on to the bank's balance sheet.
Goldman converted to a bank holding company in September 2008, making the company eligible for a capital infusion via the Troubled Asset Relief Program, or TARP, while allowing the bank and holding company to participate in the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp.'s Temporary Liquidity Guarantee Program and opening up other sources of liquidity, including a greater ability to gather deposits and the ability to borrow from the Federal Reserve.The Federal Reserve required Goldman Sachs Bank USA to maintain capital ratios in excess of those required for most banks to be considered well-capitalized. After a net loss of $250 million during 2008, which reflected trading losses, the bank reported strong trading revenue and net income of $2.8 billion for the first three quarters of 2009.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV