The company announced its numbers after market close on Monday, predicting revenue between $107 million and $108 million, well above its previous guidance of $88 million to $92 million. Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters had predicted sales of $90.7 million.
Excluding items, Emulex expects earnings of 16 cents to 17 cents a share, up from its prior range of 10 cents to 12 cents and above analysts' estimates of 12 cents.
Investors responded positively to the new numbers, pushing Emulex's shares up $1.27, or 11.4%, to $12.41 despite a broader dip in tech stocks that saw the Nasdaq fall 0.76%.Emulex has been getting plenty of analyst love recently. Paul Mansky of Cannacord Adams recently rated the stock as his top pick for 2010. Last year, Emulex CEO Jim McCluney told TheStreet that the tech rebound is underway, spurred on by companies' cloud computing efforts. The Silicon Valley firm, which makes storage adapters and embedded switches, already boasts a host of partners using its technology in their servers and storage systems, including IBM (IBM), Dell (DELL), Hewlett-Packard (HPQ ), EMC (EMC), Cisco (CSCO) and Sun (JAVA). Although he did not reveal whether Emulex clinched any new OEM deals for its products, Emulex CEO Jim McCluney said in a statement released Monday that the company's sales are ramping up. "We executed very well to deliver the December quarter results, which were driven by broad customer demand across both our Host Server Product and Embedded Storage Product lines," he explained. "I'm particularly pleased with the tangible benefits we are now seeing from our sales and marketing efforts over the past year to gain market share in Fibre Channel board level products, and this momentum has continued into the New Year."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV