Today's Must-See Charts: United Online
BALTIMORE (Stockpickr) -- A data error that showed the S&P 500 down 97 points in the last two minutes of trading on Monday had traders nervous as some wondered if the high-percentage move was for real. The bad tick showed up on most data sources, including most brokerage sites and trading platforms, and the source of the problem has yet to be named as of this writing, much to the chagrin of a few Twittering traders.
Most brokerage sites had the tick error fixed shortly after the market close, though Google Finance still showed the error as of 8 p.m. Wednesday evening.
In reality, the S&P gained modestly for its sixth straight session, which means that 2010 marks the longest streak of gaining days for the broad-based index since 1987.
With 2010 off to a solid start, it's time to turn to the technicals of the market for stocks that are set up for a breakout.Technical analysis is a way for investors to quantify qualitative factors such as investor psychology based on a stock's chart patterns and trends. Once the domain of cloistered trading teams on Wall Street, technicals can help top traders make consistently profitable trades and can aid fundamental investors in better planning their stock execution. But all too often, investors don't know where to start. So every week, Stockpickr takes a look at stocks that could be staging a technical move soon and compiles a portfolio of promising Technical Setups. Here's a look at this week's stocks.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV