DETROIT (TheStreet) -- At the Detroit Auto Show, which opened Monday, the auto industry is showing the new cars that it hopes will help to pull it out of an automotive depression.
Clearly, the outlook is brighter than it was a year ago, when the show was a bare-bones affair that led off what turned out to be the worst year for U.S. vehicle sales since 1982. Now, General Motors and Chrysler have emerged from bankruptcy as far stronger companies than they were a year ago, when they were awaiting bankruptcy. And Ford (F) has benefitted dramatically from avoiding bankruptcy.
Fuel efficiency is the byword here, and Cobo Center is filled with all manner of gasoline-saving hybrids, electric cars and battery-powered vehicles.
On Monday, Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi was in attendance, fittingly, since the federal government is the primary owner of GM and Chrysler. She called the show "historic" and said: "If we're going to be a strong economy, we have to stop the erosion of the base."
Here are some of the cars drawing attention:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV