So what's a practical purpose for such a fund? WisdomTree President Bruce Lavine says an investor could increase foreign exposure because the risk of the currency is removed. Perhaps so, though the ETF may serve investors who have an opinion on the direction of the dollar and a willingness to quickly switch from hedged to unhedged. That description would seem to apply to institutional investors more so than individual investors.There are plenty of dollar bulls, and their argument usually focuses on things like signs of an economic recovery, interest rates that are likely to rise, other countries being worse off than the U.S., a rally in the greenback or any combination of the four. As late 2008 and early 2009 showed, the dollar is capable of big rallies even when the fundamentals appear to be lousy. Just as this has happened before, it will happen again, and when it does, U.S. investors holding foreign stocks and commodities will get hit hard. The WisdomTree International Hedged Equity Fund offers a way to avoid that, but it's worth repeating that it's a double-edged sword. If the dollar continues on some sort of slow decline, the ETF will lag behind.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV