For CIT to thrive long term, it needs to shift to a funding model that is based on gathering bank deposits, a much cheaper form of funding than issuing debt.
Many observers are skeptical about whether CIT will be able to gain the regulatory approvals needed to grow its bank. The FDIC refused to guarantee CIT's debt last year, as it did for General Electric (GE) and large banks like Citigroup (C), Bank of America (BAC) and Wells Fargo (WFC). It also issued a cease-and-desist order to CIT's Utah-based bank affiliate, preventing it from growing certain types of deposits, or from lending to the parent company.
Prensky, however, is bullish on CIT's prospects and has added to the common shares he received when CIT was reorganized. He believes regulators will not be able to keep CIT's cease-and-desist order in place indefinitely if the company continues to strengthen its balance sheet.
"It's a matter of when, not if," Prensky argues.For taxpayers, however, the clock is ticking. Even if the 60 days turn out to be trading days, CIT shares would need to reach the mid-50s by early March for Treasury to recoup any of its investment. -- Written by Dan Freed in New York.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV