AMSTERDAM ( TheStreet) -- Heineken, the world's third-largest brewer, confirmed Monday it has reached an agreement to buy the beer business of Mexico's Fomento Economico Mexicano (FMX) in a stock transaction.
In a statement on its Web site, Heineken said the implied equity value of Femsa Cerveza is $5.5 billion, based on Heineken's closing stock price on Jan. 8. Including net debt and pension obligations of $2.1 billion, the total implied enterprise value for Femsa Cerveza is about $7.6 billion.
The Wall Street Journal had reported earlier that Heineken was close to buying the Femsa beer unit for between $7.5 billion and $8 billion.
Most bankers, analysts and industry players following the auction had expected Britain's SABMiller, the world's second-largest brewer, to buy Femsa Cerveza. However, sources told the Journal that SABMiller had dropped out of the race just before Christmas.Anheuser-Busch InBev (BUD) is the world's top brewer. Heineken has a small presence in emerging economies, unlike SABMiller which already has big operations in Latin America. Buying Monterrey-based Femsa would give Heineken a big role in a large and profitable emerging beer market and offset the slow-growing markets in Western Europe, the Journal notes. Under terms of the transaction, Femsa will hold a 20% economic interest in Heineken. The acquisition is expected to close in the second quarter of 2010.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV