For all of Stanley Bing's columns on TheStreet.com, click here.
Eighty percent of the stuff on the massive succession of floors here has something to do with thumping sound. Chairs are here that thump while you play immersive video games. Enormous speaker towers that you can pop your teeny IPod onto. Fabulous vehicles tricked out with woofers bigger than a Great Dane's. Miniscule ear buds that fry your eustachian tubes.
My conceptual issue here is that, I don't know, I have a few sets of headphones and a couple of speakers here and there for a variety of purposes. How much sound gear does a person need? And why does it have to be thumping. I mean, some things should thump. But not everything.
There is still no food at CES. Or rather, the food stalls are few and the distance between them is vast. The lines are long. I think the most successful attraction at the show was the Starbucks (SBUX). After that, Nathan's (NATH). We walked around hungry most of the time, because really, who has time to wait half and hour for a hot dog or a cruller?Beyond that, there are of course a billion cameras and digital guitars and automated environmental systems for your home and all kinds of crazy stuff, some of which actually looks keen and even addresses some consumer need. But in the end, this week, it's all about 3D TV. Sony (SNE) and LG and Samsung and Panasonic (PC) and Nvidia (NVDA) and dozens of others were here dispensing gray glasses and then blasting your face with juicy imagery.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV