(Updated from Jan. 9 with Thomson Reuters' fourth-quarter earnings and revenue projections.)
The aluminum maker will be the first component of the Dow Jones Industrial Average to report fourth-quarter results in 2010. Tech giant Intel (INTC) follows later in the week onThursday, while industrial-financial conglomerate General Electric (GE) and JPMorgan Chase (JPM) are due on Friday.
Expectations are cautiously hopeful, with analysts predicting all four firms remained in the black; Alcoa with 6 cents per share, Intel with 30 cents per share, GE with 26 cents per share, and JPMorgan with 63 cents per share, according to the consensus views of analysts polled by Thomson Reuters. But there have been mixed signs recently of how far along in the economic recovery we have come, and how long it will take for earnings to be driven by top-line growth, rather than cost-cutting measures.> > Bull or Bear? Vote in Our Poll For the entire fourth-quarter earnings season, Thomson Reuters is calling for an estimated growth rate for the S&P 500 of 184%, which is unusually high due to the easy comparison to year-ago earnings. The financials, materials and consumer discretionary sectors are expecting the highest earnings growth rates for the quarter, while the energy and industrials sectors are expecting the lowest. If the final growth rate for the fourth quarter is 184%, it will mark the first time the S&P 500 has recorded year-over-year earnings growth since the second quarter of 2007, and it will mark the end of the streak of consecutive quarters of negative growth rates at nine, according to Thomson Reuters.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV