"With our expectation that the majority of OTC derivatives will be cleared, this is no longer a competitive advantage, which means that JPMorgan is exposed to losing market share as well as above-average margin compression since they were benefiting from very favorable pricing relative to peers due to strong counterparty strength," the note says.
JPMorgan is slated to report its results on Jan. 15. Analysts on average expect earnings of 63 cents a share for the fourth quarter of 2009 and $3.17 a share in 2010.
Shares of Bank of America were up 1% to $16.76 in recent trades, while Goldman Sachs shares were down 1.2% to $175.49, Morgan Stanley's shares were off 1.6% to $32.38, and JPMorgan's stock slipped 0.7% to $44.45.
--Written by Laurie Kulikowski in New York.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV