Horowitz reiterates, however, that Bank of America has "excellent value" and maintains a buy rating on the institution.
Goldman Sachs: Horowitz lowered his view for the fourth quarter by 25 cents to a profit of $5.25 a share. He maintained his 2010 earnings estimate of $19 a share "as our lower FICC [view] was mostly offset by lower compensation accrual assumption," the note says.
The current average analyst estimate, according to Thomson Reuters, is for Goldman Sachs to earn $5.39 a share in the fourth quarter and $18.69 a share for 2010. The company reports its results on Jan. 21.
"We continue to see opportunity in Goldman Sachs with strong management and a good market positioning," Horowitz writes, maintaining a buy rating on Goldman Sachs.Morgan Stanley: This was the biggest cut. Horowitz slashed fourth-quarter earnings estimates by 30 cents to 36 cents a share. He also lowered his 2010 EPS estimate by 50 cents to $3.10 a share. The new views are comfortably below Wall Street's current average analyst estimate for Morgan Stanley to post a profit of 49 cents a share in the fourth quarter and $3.31 a share for 2010. Morgan Stanley is also expected to report its results on Jan. 21. JP Morgan Chase: Horowitz now sees earnings of 55 cents a share for JP Morgan in the fourth quarter, down 15 cents from his prior view. For 2010, he's looking for a profit of $2.90 a share, a cut of 30 cents. He also changed his risk rating on the company to "medium" from "high," according to the note. Horowitz rates JPMorgan Chase at a hold.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV