"What's happening in the current environment
Other examples of deals that didn't make it to the finish line include the proposed hookup between OceanFirst Financial (OCFC) and Central Jersey Bancorp (CJBK); and plans for First Capital Bancorp (FCVA) and Eastern Virginia Bankshares (EVBS) to merge. Both deals were scuttled with parties citing delays in obtaining regulatory approval as a reason for the cancellations.
Chip MacDonald, a partner at law firm Jones Day specializing in banking and finance, says that even with "stresses in the system and all the proposed regulator changes, it's almost surprising there are not more" canceled deals.
Logic would seem to dictate that the troubled financial sector would see a pickup in consolidation in order to avoid escalating bank failures. But the extra scrutiny by regulators seems necessary given that currently 552 U.S. banks are considered so-called problem banks by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp., thanks to the credit crisis. More than 200 banks are expected to fail in 2010.These terminated deals and others, while not new to the banking landscape, are an added repercussion of the financial crisis that has virtually taken bank M&A off the table unless it's a purchase of a failed institution with the assistance of the FDIC. Some observers suggest that regulators are overwhelmed with the number of failed banks. Then there's the inherent appeal of the FDIC-assisted transactions to consider as to why more hookups between healthy companies aren't getting done. Not only can an acquirer get branches and deposits on the cheap, but the government provides downside protection by sharing the exposure to whatever troubled assets the acquired bank holds.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV