NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- The majority of food companies covered by star analyst Farha Aslam of Stephens in her latest note to investors saw their total dollar sales increase in the four week period ended December 27, as consumers loosened their purses at grocery, drug and mass outlets across the U.S.
The checkout scanner data used in the report doesn't include Wal-Mart, club stores and convenience outlets.
Aslam provides an overweight recommendation for Dean Foods (DF). Dean Foods' total dollar sales decreased 5.9% in the latest 4-week period. Milk sales were down 11.6%, driven by an 8.5% decline in pricing. Cream/creamer sales were up 10.9%, driven by a 9.9% volume increase. Soy milk sales were down 8% on pricing.
Aslam gives Del Monte Foods (DLM) an overweight recommendation. Del Monte's total dollar sales were up 4.5% compared to last year. Vegetable sales were up 12% on a 23.1% volume increase and a 9% price decline, while volume promoted came in at 60.2%. Fruit sales were up 0.9%. Pet treats were up 4.5% and dog food was up 13.7%. Cat food sales were up 0.6%.The analyst provides an equal-weight recommendation for Flowers Foods (FLO). Flowers Foods' total dollar sales were up 4.3% compared to a year ago. Fresh bread sales were up 3.3%, driven by a pricing decrease of 1.4% and a volume increase of 4.8%. Hamburger/hot dog buns sales were down 2.5%, with volumes up 1.8% and pricing down 4.1%. All other buns and rolls were up 5.7%, as price decreased 10.5% and volumes added 18%. Aslam gives Hormel Foods (HRL) an equal-weight recommendation. Hormel Foods' sales increased 0.7% versus last year. Canned meat (no ham) sales were up 2.7% on volume increases of 4.9% and a 2.1% price decline. Refrigerated meats were down 1.4% and bacon sales were down 2.7%, both on pricing. Chili was down 6.6% on volume. Microwavable packaged dinner sales increased 1.1% on volume. Lunch meats increased 15.9% on mostly volume.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV