NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Stocks overcame early losses to close higher Friday, as rallying technology and industrial stocks outweighed a much larger-than-expected number of job losses in December.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average added 11 points, or 0.1%, at 10,618. The S&P 500 climbed 3 points, or 0.3%, at 1145, and the tech-heavy Nasdaq gained 17 points, or 0.7%, at 2317.
The major market averages finished the first trading week of the new year on an up note, with the Dow going higher by 1.8%, the S&P rising 2.7% and the Nasdaq moving up by 2.1%.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV