3. Bank of Hawaii (BOH) climbed 2.5% to $48.30. Shares of the regional bank advanced 6.9% during the past month.
The numbers: Third-quarter profit dropped 23% to $36 million, or 76 cents a share, as revenue declined 2% to $186 million. Bank of Hawaii's gross margin was little changed at 74%, but its operating margin inched up from 39% to 40%. The company holds $699 million of cash and liquid securities, and $1.6 billion of debt. Its 1.8 debt-to-equity ratio reflects sizable leverage.
The stock: Our quantitative model rates Bank of Hawaii "buy." The stock has gained 25% during the past year, as the S&P 500 rose 26%. The stock emits mixed valuation signals. The shares are cheaper than those of the average regional bank based on earnings, projected earnings and cash flow, but they are expensive when considering book value and sales.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV