1. American Physicians Service Group (AMPH) sells medical liability insurance and manages investments.
The numbers: Third-quarter profit fell 10% to $6.4 million, or 92 cents a share. Revenue grew 13% to $22 million. The company's gross margin shrank from 64% to 49%, and its operating margin decreased from 56% to 43%. American Physicians Service has $30 million of cash and $6.6 million of debt.
The stock: American Physicians Service has advanced 8% during the past year, trailing major U.S. indices. The stock trades at a price-to-earnings ratio of 9, a discount to insurers. The shares offer a 1.4% dividend yield.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV