"The next generation will be all about video literally changing lives in ways that we can't even imagine," said John Chambers, the Cisco CEO, during a press event organized by the networking giant. "It's to see an experience, to live it and share it."
Now See>>Photo Gallery: 2010 CES Show
>>CES 2010 coverage
Chambers has pushed consumer video to the forefront of Cisco's business in the last couple of years, throwing down $590 million to acquire Flip camera maker Pure Digital and grabbing Norwegian videoconferencing specialist Tandberg for $3.4 billion.
To illustrate his strategy, Chambers ran a series of demos using the company's telepresence technology to contact people in other parts of the U.S. Telepresence, a form of high-end video conferencing, also lets users share additional information on screen. Chambers' new demo sidekick, Cisco marketing vice president Ken Wirt, used the technology to discuss his diabetes with his doctor and also spoke to a prospective math tutor for his children. More prosaically, Chambers conducted on on-screen conversation with his wife Elaine, and got a big laugh when he complemented her on her legs.Although Chambers didn't unveil any new products during his hour-long presentation, he promised that Cisco's video strategy will be completely device agnostic. Video, for example, is seen as an ideal use of tabletcomputers such as Lenovo's IdeaPad and Apple's (AAPL) forthcoming offering, although Chambers told TheStreet that Cisco will work with "any content, any device."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV