Even when broken up by age groups, income levels and geographic regions, job-satisfaction levels were lower than ever. Workers under 25 (36%) and those who live in the mountain region (41%) were especially disgruntled.
Overall, nearly a quarter of respondents -- 22% -- expect to leave their current jobs within the next year.
So what's a boss to do? Salary and health benefits may be at the mercy of the economy. The Conference Board forecasts a salary-budget increase of 3% for 2010, the smallest in 25 years. But the report suggests that companies can improve morale (not to mention productivity) with a few strategies that aren't dependent on the budget. These include rotational assignments, intellectually challenging tasks, and, most importantly, communication.
To let employees know their work is relevant, employers should actually talk to them, the report says. More specifically, the report recommends building a "line of sight" that gives employees a means of understanding the impact of their contributions, encouraging employee involvement in major decisions and delivering company news face-to-face whenever possible.-- Reported by Carmen Nobel in Boston.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV