Health Stock Short-Squeeze Opportunities
Mid-cap biotechnology company United Therapeutics (UTHR) develops products for patients with infectious and chronic diseases as well as cancer.
The company has seen quarterly sales grow 30% in the last year, and shareholders have been rewarded for their faith as shares gained 66.21% over that same period. But short-sellers continue to tug at United Therapeutics' share price, pushing the company's short ratio to 11 currently.
United Therapeutics benefits from thick margins -- 12.28% as of the company's third-quarter earnings release in late October -- as well as a history of successfully commercializing drugs, something that many micro- and small-cap biotechs are often lacking.
Two catalysts could give this stock a squeeze-induced pop in the next month: a health care conference and upcoming earnings release. On Jan. 11, United Therapeutics will be present at the 28th annual JPMorgan Healthcare Conference, an event that gives the company an opportunity to showcase its therapy pipeline to analysts and institutional investors. More significant is the company's yet-unscheduled fourth-quarter 2009 earnings release, which should be coming up within the next month.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV