There is some recent precedent for a run-up ahead of the quarterly report. Bank of America issued its third-quarter results on Oct. 16. The day before the release, its stock rallied as high as $19.10 in intraday trading. It marked a high point for the shares in 2009, a level not seen since November 2008. Roughly two weeks prior to the third-quarter report, on Oct. 1, the stock had closed at $16.21, a finish that was its lowest since August 12 when it closed at $15.93. The stock then rose in seven of the 10 trading sessions spanning from Oct. 1 through Oct. 15.
Analysts polled by Thomson Reuters are expecting Bank of America to report a loss of 50 cents a share in the December quarter, but Wall Street is decidedly bullish on the stock, with 19 of the 25 analysts covering the company rating it at buy (10) or strong buy (9).
-- Written by Lauren Tara LaCapra in New York.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV