Visa said, unsurprisingly, that debit cards are a good tool to track spending.
Since April 2009, spending on Visa-issued debit cards surpassed spending on its credit cards. Debit cards currently make up about 70% of Visa's U.S. transactions, and the company has issued more than 352 million cards. Rival MasterCard (MA) has more than 211 million debit cards in circulation.
As part of the Visa survey, Americans, whose payment method of choice is a debit card, claimed that they would rather give up coffee, MP3 player, mobile phone, email, visiting social network sites -- and even cash -- for one week than they would their debit card.
-- Reported by Joe Mont in Boston.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV