LAS VEGAS ( TheStreet) -- Laptop makers ASUS and Lenovo have kicked off CES with a slew of announcements touting unusual casing materials and tablet technology in an attempt to challenge Apple (AAPL).
ASUS was first to the plate, unveiling a raft of new laptops at a press event late Tuesday. Clearly keen to catch the eye of style-obsessed consumers, the Taiwanese technology giant took the wraps off its U53 devices, which use bamboo as casing material.
See all our CES 2010 coverage.
ASUS Chairman Jonney Shih even played the eco-card during an almost hour-long presentation, explaining that bamboo is the most recyclable plant on the planet."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV