NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Several stocks trading near $5 were moving on above-average volume during Tuesday's session.
PharmAthene (PIP) jumped by 36 cents, or nearly 20%, to $2.18 after the biodefense company said that the Biomedical Advance Research and Development Authority, or BARDA, has intentions to negotiate a contract modification for continued development of its recombinant protective rPA anthrax vaccine candidate, SparVax. PharmAthene's comments verified reports last week that BARDA would negotiate a modification. Volume topped 3.9 million shares, compared to the three-month average daily volume of 492,000, according to Yahoo! Finance.
Melco Crown Entertainment (MPEL) rallied by 52 cents, or 14.5%, to $4.10 after a report that gross casino revenue in Macau increased by 10% in 2009 to a record $14.9 billion, thanks to a 48% jump in gross revenue in December. Volume topped 19.1 million shares, compared to the 50-day average daily volume of 7.7 million, according to the Nasdaq.
China Direct Industries (CDII) sank by 18 cents, or 10.2%, to $1.58, retracing some of its recent price surge. On Monday, China Direct reintroduced an annual forecast due to improved visibility, sending shares higher by more than 30%. Volume topped 1.8 million shares, compared to the 50-day average daily volume of 157,000.-- Written by Robert Holmes in Boston. Check out all of Tuesday's high-volume, under-$5 stocks at the Dollar Store Follow Robert Holmes on Twitter and become a fan of TheStreet.com on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV