MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. (TheStreet) -- As promised, Google (GOOG) introduced the Nexus One today, or what it calls the next step in mobile phones. And in a surprise move, Google named No.1 telco Verizon (VZ) as one of its future service partners.
In October, TheStreet was the first to report that Google was coming out with its own phone.
The Nexus One will be available through Verizon sometime this spring for $179 at Google's new online store. The phone is also available today via the site and can be used with T-Mobile's service. Unlocked Nexus One phones without a service plan are priced at $529.
Google executives spent the early portion of the press event thanking partners like HTC, Samsung and Motorola (MOT) -- companies that have helped develop phones on the Android operating system. The gesture was somewhat of an awkward acknowledgement that Google is aware that it's encroaching on the phone makers' turf with its own phone.The Nexus One runs on Qualcomm's (QCOM) SnapDragon one-gigahertz processor, a faster chip than what powers the current crop of smartphones including Apple's (AAPL) iPhone and Palm's (PALM) Pre. The phone also has a 3.7-inch LED touchscreen and a 5-megapixel camera.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV