The shares have returned 48% a year since 2007. Currently, valuation is rich. The stock trades at a trailing price-to-earnings ratio of 49 and a projected price-to-earnings ratio of 37. Those figures represent a hefty premium to averages of the health-care providers and services peer group. At roughly six times book value per share, HMS Holdings is ill-suited for value investors. Its PEG ratio, a measure of value relative to growth expectations, stands tall at 1.4. By comparison, the industry average is 1.3.
Despite similar caveats in our Nov. 11 article, the stock quickened its upward pace. Other health-care companies capitalizing on the reorganization of our system are Transcend Services (TRCR), Emergent Group (LZR) and RehabCare Group (RHB). These companies offer attractive near-term investments.
-- Reported by Jake Lynch in Boston.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV