BOSTON ( TheStreet) -- Shares of HMS Holdings (HMSY), a cost manager for government-sponsored health programs, have returned 18% since TheStreet.com's Nov. 11 recommendation. The stock continues to record 52-week highs.
HMS on Monday announced its acquisition of Verify Solutions, an Atlanta-based auditor of employer-sponsored health-care plans. The stock rallied 7% on the news, bringing the one-year gain to 65%.
Third-quarter net income increased 36% to $8.4 million, and earnings per share climbed 30% to 30 cents. Revenue grew 21% to $59 million. HMS Holdings' operating margin extended from 22% to 25%. Its cash balance more than doubled to $70 million, as total debt decreased 33% to $13 million. HMS Holdings posted a quick ratio of 4.3 and a debt-to-equity ratio of 0.1, demonstrating its fiscal prudence.
HMS Holdings has an appealing business model: identifying inefficiencies in the health-care system, namely in Medicaid and Medicare, and correcting them. This business, which entails reviewing expenditures and mining data to recover erroneous charges, is tedious, but profitable. A health-care system as convoluted and inefficient as that of the U.S. is rife with errors. Duplicate payments, transfers to and from deceased beneficiaries, and fraudulent behavior is commonplace.Despite a market value of just $1.1 billion, HMS Holdings is a pioneer in this niche industry. As government budget deficits rise and coverage reform is enacted, officials will demand improved efficiency. Over the past three years, HMS Holdings has enlarged its revenue by 44% annually, on average, and boosted its net profit 65% a year. HMS Holdings has proven immune to broader economic trends. Its stock has a beta, a measure of stock-market correlation, of just 0.1.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV