H&R Block To Repay Up To $19M In IRA Fees
NEW YORK (AP) ¿ H&R Block Inc. will refund up to $19.4 million in fees to customers who bought an individual retirement account product, which the New York attorney general claims was a money loser because it charged more in fees than it paid in interest.
Attorney General Andrew Cuomo announced the settlement with Block on Monday.
Block will refund between $11.4 million and $19.4 million to customers nationwide, depending on the number of claims made under the settlement. Those eligible for refunds will be contacted by a court-appointed administrator.
In addition to providing full refunds of fees it charged to all customers who purchased an Express IRA since 2000, H&R Block will pay $750,000 in fines, fees and costs to the state of New York.H&R Block will also convert all existing Express IRA accounts into a new IRA that does not charge fees. The company also promised to enhance its disclosures of fees and terms and implement other business reforms. In a statement, Cuomo said Block enticed as many as 600,000 low- and middle-income customers into buying Express IRAs since 2000, telling them the IRA paid "great rates" and was "a better way to save." However, about 85 percent of the customers who opened the accounts paid more in fees than they earned in interest, Cuomo said. Hundreds of thousands of customers closed the accounts and incurred additional undisclosed fees, he said.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV