New $2M Grant Aims To Boost Open-records Efforts
COLUMBIA, Mo. (AP) ¿ Groups seeking more government transparency are getting a boost from a new grant.
The National Freedom of Information Coalition announced Monday a $2 million grant from the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation. The three-year grant will fund court costs, filing fees, depositions and other expenses related to open-records requests.
The NFOIC, based at the University of Missouri journalism school in Columbia, says the grant will be crucial to stemming an expected drop in freedom of information advocacy because of the economic crisis.
A recent Coalition survey suggests open-records litigation will decline dramatically in the coming years, in part because struggling news outlets are reluctant to spend money fighting such cases.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV