Treasury Winds Down Bank Bailouts With $29M Outlay
WASHINGTON (AP) ¿ The Treasury Department said Thursday it has pumped $29.3 million into 10 banks, which will be the last to receive investments as part of the taxpayer-funded program to shore up the financial system.
The aid comes from a $700 billion financial bailout program created last year during the height of the financial crisis.
The investments in the 10 banks are the last under Treasury's so-called Capital Purchase Program, Treasury officials said. By law, the Treasury must report the transactions ¿ which occurred on Tuesday ¿ within two business days.Although the government anticipated winding down support for banks, Treasury Secretary Geithner recently extended the publicly derided bailout program, saying it will now focus on helping homeowners avoid foreclosures and small businesses get loans. The banks receiving the latest outlay are: Atlantic Bancshares Inc. in South Carolina; Union Financial Corp. in New Mexico; Mainline Bancorp Inc., in Pennsylvania; FBHC Holding Co. in Colorado; Western Illinois Bancshares Inc. in Illinois; DeSoto County Bank in Mississippi; Lafayette Bancorp. Inc. in Mississippi; Private Bancorporation Inc. in Minnesota; CBB Bancorp in Georgia; and Illinois State Bancorp Inc. in Illinois.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV