(Tiger Woods item updated to include comment from an AT&T spokesman.)
"We are ending our sponsorship agreement with Tiger Woods and wish him well in the future," AT&T said.
The company, whose name had been emblazoned on Woods' golf bag, was the chief backer behind the AT&T National tournament hosted by Woods every July outside Washington, D.C.An AT&T spokesman said the company will continue to sponsor the event. He wouldn't comment further, but it's unclear whether Woods will remain in his role as host. The tournament's Web site still bears an image of the golfer on its home page. AT&T also sponsored one of Woods' charity events, "TigerJam," but the contract for that arrangment has expired, the spokesman said. Other major corporate sponsors, including Proctor & Gamble's Gillette unit and Accenture (ACN), have backed away from Woods in the wake of the scandals that emerged followed his car accident on Thanksgiving weekend. According to a study that received a lot of media attention this week, the scandal has cost shareholders of Woods-endorsed companies as much as $12 billion in overall market value. -- Written by Scott Eden in New York Follow TheStreet.com on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
>>See our new stock quote page. Follow TheStreet.com on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV