Survey: 137 Media Workers Killed In 2009
Iraq ¿ the most dangerous country for media workers during much of the past decade ¿ saw five media deaths in 2009, down from 16 in 2008, according to the federation.
It said the "most shocking statistics" of 2009 point to the Philippines, where 38 journalists and media staff were killed in 2009 ¿ most of them victims of a massacre in Maguindano province on Nov. 23.
The International Federation of Journalists said this "unprecedented attack and continued violence against media in other hot spots is a challenge to governments which in 2006 were told by the United Nations Security Council to take steps to protect journalists and media in conflict zones."
The federation listed these other countries with high numbers of media fatalities: Mexico (13), Somalia (9); Pakistan (7) and Russia (6).The full federation report on 2009 media deaths will be published in mid-January. In a separate report Wednesday, Reporters Without Borders said 76 journalists were killed this year ¿ mostly when covering wars and elections ¿ compared with 60 in 2008. The Paris-based organization counts journalists and bloggers, but not other media staff like interpreters. A total of 573 journalists were arrested around the world, 33 were kidnapped, 1,456 were physically assaulted and 157 others fled their countries to escape such a fate, according to the Reporters Without Borders' count.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV