Last week's spike on volume was notable, though, and is visible on this daily chart.
Prices pulled back Wednesday on larger volume. But look how the volume remained subdued when compared to the swing point area it was testing. At that price point, more than 300,000 shares traded for two consecutive days as prices rose about 15%. Wednesday appeared to be the weaker hands getting cleared out of their shares.
Having sold off some of the shares on that spike higher, I was buying into the weakness and increasing share size at improved prices. One idea I talk about in my book, "Trade Like the Little Guy," is that you sell off some shares when prices either rise too fast, come into key resistance points, or show a failure on the daily chart after a large fast price move.
The reason you do this is so you can subsequently buy the sold shares back at a cheaper price if the stock continues to trade well. Doing this creates a win-win situation for you as a trader and is a key item in how you can consistently make money over time.This spike higher and then failure two days ago signaled that opportunity. Wednesday provided the ability to scale back in and create the win-win. Have a happy and safe New Year's Eve night, and as always, keep trading the charts! Please note that due to factors including low market capitalization and/or insufficient public float, we consider KVHI to be a small-cap stock. You should be aware that such stocks are subject to more risk than stocks of larger companies, including greater volatility, lower liquidity and less publicly available information, and that postings such as this one can have an effect on their stock prices.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV