Fannie Mae: Financial Winners and Losers
( Updated with closing stock prices.)
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Fannie Mae (FNM) and Freddie Mac (FRE) were among the worst performers of the financial sector Wednesday, retracing some of their recent rally sparked by the Treasury Department's decision to remove a cap on aid.
Lately, though, Fannie and Freddie shares were sliding as momentum traders booked profits. Fannie closed down 7.2% to $1.16, and Freddie lost 5.3% to $1.42.Similarly, Radian Group (RDN) and other mortgage-insurance stocks were declining, one day after a positive report on U.S. home prices spurred buying. The Standard & Poor's/Case-Shiller home price index of 20 major cities improved for the ninth-consecutive month, although that was down 7.3% from a year ago. Radian, which gained 5.9% during Tuesday's session, closed down 3.4% to $7.32. Among other related stocks retracing the previous day's gains, PMI Group (PMI) slid 1.6% to $2.52 and MGIC Investment (MTG) fell 2.9% to $5.68. On the other hand, Horizon Bancorp (HBNC) was among the winners of the session, climbing 7.2% to $15.90 after the company said it will acquire most of the banking-related assets and deposits of American Trust & Savings Bank, which carry an estimated value of $110 million. Terms of the deal weren't disclosed, but the transaction should be completed in the second quarter of 2010.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV