Alsin's Top Ten for 2010: Part 1
(LIZ): Nothing has changed since
Smart Balance (SMBL): While the food-products industry is notoriously slow-growth -- think Kraft, General Mills, Kellogg -- it's possible to find a growth company in this sector every once in a while. On the back of strong growth of its buttery spreads products, this $340 million (market cap) company has seen sales grow from $99 million in 2005 to $240 million this year. CEO Steve Hughes has built food-products growth companies before -- he led the team that launched the Healthy Choice brand, growing revenue to $1 billion in just four years. And he led the turnaround at Tropicana, doubling revenue from $1 billion to $2 billion, also in just four years.
A number of innovative new products will be introduced by Smart Balance over the next couple of years. Next up is the nationwide launch of Smart Balance milk, a new "heart healthy" product that has been thoroughly vetted in major test markets, with impressive success. What's particularly interesting about Smart Balance is its operating model. It produces a robust stream of free cash flow because it outsources all of its production. That allows the management team to focus on marketing and innovation, while minimizing capital-expenditure requirements.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV