The RealMoney contributors are in the business of trading and investing all day on the basis of ongoing news flow. Below, we offer the top five ideas that RealMoney contributors posted today and how they played those ideas.
TheStreet.com brings you the news all day, and with RealMoney's "Columnist Conversation," you can see how the pros are playing it on a real-time basis. Here are the top five ideas played today. To see all that RealMoney offers, click here for a free trial.
1. HousingBy Tim Melvin
9:46 a.m. EST
Once again, the Case-Schiller report shows that although real estate is declining slower, it is still declining. The rate of decline slowed to 7.3% year over year. On a month-over-month basis, prices were flat. Is is getting a little better, but still I would be reluctant to call a bottom.
If this price action was occurring naturally, I would feel better. It is not. We are throwing every kind of stimulus and tax break at the housing market those innovative folks between the rivers can dream up. We gave Fannie and Freddie a blank check last week to keep loans available to people who probably should not be eligible for one and prices are still declining.
2. Corporate High Yield in 2010By Brian Gilmartin
10:07 a.m. EST We just finished reading another negative article on high yield this morning in terms of the prospects for 2010, which is probably understandable, given the +50% return for the asset class in 2009. That being said, I think how high yield performs in 2010 will be a function of whether higher interest rates are being driven by faster economic growth or just inflation.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV